Choosing a graphic design project’s colors in 3 steps.
1. DEFINE the project and the audience.
- Consider the elements within the project such as typography and graphic icons or shapes.
- Consider the viewing location and the demographics of the audience.
2. DISCOVER colors relevant to the industry represented by the project.
- Resource sites such as colourlovers.com and color.adobe.com offer a plethara of color schemes for inspiration.
- Seek inspiration from images related to the project to visualize color schemes in real life settings.
3. DEVELOP the color scheme by styling the project with sample palettes.
- Sort and cull the sampled color combinations to narrow down the selection to the best 3-5 possibilities.
- Refine the combinations using a color wheel to define complementary color groups, compound color groups or contrasting color groups.
Sampling the best picks and experimenting with a few combinations will help find the one that feels right.